Monday, January 31, 2005

Holy Crap That's a Lot of Chicken.

Last night I got a little too drunk. You might have been able to tell by the ending of the previous post. Not that I, nor you should care but I screwed up the recipe a little bit and didn't tell you about a few things.

All the big stuff is A-OK. Yes you should actually have a chicken and yes you should have an oven. Pretty much the only thing I left out is to use fresh, whole Corriander and be sure to mash it with the Tumeric between a little wax paper or something with the flat side of a meat tenderizing hammer or a mortar and pestal. Hey, a mortar and pestal would do the trick just dandy.

I think this is really important to use fresh spice so that it opens up real well with the absorbency of the bread. Also, don't be afraid to sprinkle some of that Honey over the stuffing. That's great too.

All right, so now it's the next day and you've got all this chicken and stuffing. Hopefully it's cold because you covered it with a little wax paper and tin foil and had it in the fridge. I always do this with the wax paper under tin because I don't believe it's really tin and it's probably not aluminum either. A few times I covered some meat with foil and it started to corrode after a day where it came in contact with the meat. I, personally, didn't feel all that great about that mainly because there wasn't any evidence of where the corroded away segments of the foil went. I can only assume that they were absorbed into the meat which can't be all that good.

So what to do with all this chicken? Well, I have a job as might you and I'm going to use it for lunches that I'll microwave there. But tonight, while I cut off all the goods from the carcass, I'm going to heat the oven to 350 and heat it in there for about 15 - 20 minutes. I hate the microwave. I hate what it does to food. Makes it all gummy and weird. When it's real food anyway. I guess it's fine for the Swanson crap.

If you're like me, you made the chicken with a shit-load of stuffing in the same cast-iron pan or baking dish. Take a fork, after you've cut or pulled off the big chunks of the chicken and rake the carcass to loosen and pull of all the little bits and pieces of meat still left on it. Do this in the same pan or dish that you cooked it all in last night.

A good thing about cast-iron pans is that you can leave everything the night before sitting in it and then put it back on the stove the next day and heat it. This is what's going on for me right now. Take the carcass after you've raked off the little tid-bits into the left over stuffing, and throw it away. If you want, you can boil it in water with some veggies to make a weak chicken broth but screw that. Chuck it.

Heat that pasty mess up. Nice thing is you'll have all the chicken fat still in the pan and you can mix and heat that into the stuffing. Now divvy it out into some plastic containers and put in some big chicken pieces and you've got lunches all ready to go.

By now the chicken in the oven's done, I'm sure and you can take some of your freshly re-heated stuffing and have a repeat of last night. Sure it's simple. Do you think I'd be writing this if I was a brain surgeon?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home