Sunday, October 01, 2006

I've never been to Senegal, Soup.

Ok, I only heard this is senseless soup. I was watching TV and Emeril (I know, I know, I like the guy) brought up a recipe. I was found with very weird things in my fridge and I happened to have what was needed along with some left over potato. I mean c'mon, it's soup made from peanut butter!

Honestly though, it's delicious. I substituted some stuff like yogurt for coconut milk and veal for chicken stock but this is just superb as a basic idea no matter what you use for dairy substitute or stock. I even threw in some left over roasted red potatoes instead of grilled chicken. You get the idea, as a base this carries pretty far. I can imagine it working very well with green beans too, full length so they feel like giant noodles.

What you need:

1/2 jar of peanut butter
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
4 cups of stock (I had veal, you use chicken. Don't use beef)
Tumeric
Cayenne Pepper
Salt/Pepper
Olive Oil

Here's how we do. Little bit of oil in the pot and get the onion going. Throw some salt over it with 5 or 6 good hits of Tumeric and maybe 3 or 4 hits of Cayenne. The onions, as they sweat will pick up the powder and it'll be a searing orange-red. Let the onions go until they're soft, but don't brown them.

Add in the peanut butter. I used chunky 'cause that's what I like with my jelly but you can use any you like. Add the yogurt with the stock and keep stirring until it simmers. Lower the heat and let and simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes. It'll mature while it goes. When it's ready, grab a hand blender and blend until smooth. Add your chicken or leftover potato as it might be afterward and insure you heat through.

Before you serve, grab any green herb you might have and chop it fine to float in the middle. If you want to get fancy, throw on some chunks of feta, sheep or other goat cheese.

I think I had a lager beer with this, but it's been a while now and don't quite remember. Hope you dig it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home